As the spring winds to an end, our students are celebrating trajectory-changing scholarship achievements. The ScholarMatch and Kayne Destination College programs awarded 11 Green Dot students in Los Angeles with $5,000 Scholarships, funded by the Ric & Suzanne Kayne Foundation.
“We are proud of our students as they worked diligently over the past year and a half completing different college-ready milestones such building a college list, submitting 8-10 college applications and developing a college transition plan to be eligible to apply for this scholarship,” said Maggie Landeros, counselor support specialist at Green Dot.
Congratulations to our Class of 2021 Kayne Destination College Scholarship winners.
- Yazmin Romero, Animo Venice Charter High School
- Monserrat River, Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy
- Katy Montiel, Animo Jackie Robinson CHS
- Angela Contreras, Animo Pat Brown Charter High School
- Fatima Barajas, Animo Watts Preparatory College Academy
- Trinity Saunders, Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy
- Michael Flynn, Animo Venice Charter High School
- Wiian Ramirez, Animo Ralph Bunch High School
- Ruby Esparza, Animo Watts Preparatory College Academy
- Diego Medina, Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy
- Daniela Ruvalcaba, Animo Leadership Charter High School
Academic counselors across our California high schools linked our students with the Kayne Destination College and ScholarMatch programs, where they received free 1:1 college counseling and extended college support over the fall and spring semester. To be eligible, students must be first-generation college students; hold a minimum GPA of 3.0; Plan on attending a UC or CSU institution; and intend to major in STEM or business fields.
Over 155 students applied for the scholarship but just 35 were selected. Green Dot’s students comprised nearly one third of the scholarship recipients.
“Kayne has been a strong partner for Green Dot in our efforts around college access and persistence and we know that our students will continue to maximize the resources and opportunities that come with this coveted award,” Landeros added.
At Green Dot Public Schools, we’re committed to preparing all students for college, leadership, and life. Across the network, our schools invest in programs to nurture a college-going mindset in our students through rigorous coursework, college tours, dual enrollment, and senior bridge. Through opportunities like this, we will continue to equip our students with the tools necessary to become successful in college, leadership, and life.