Editor's note: this weekly newsletter covers K-12 national news & views. Please be in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Schools are reopening nearly one year after closing due to Covid-19. What has public education weathered and learned in the process? (NPR, Washington Post, LA Daily News, Chalkbeat, LA School Report, ProPublica, The 74 Million, The Hill Opinion, EdSource, The Harvard Crimson, US News, New York Times)
- The American Rescue Plan was signed into law last week. The Covid-19 relief package allots $120B for K-12 public education. (Chalkbeat, EdWeek, Washington Post)
- The Hill, Nina Rees (President & CEO National Alliance for Public Charter Schools): Reimagining the future of public education after COVID
- Washington Post, Moriah Balingit & Toluse Olorunnipa (WaPo reporters): Biden push for equity faces critical test amid shifting strategies to open schools
- US Department of Education, Press Release: U.S. Department of Education Continues Aggressive Plan to Safely Reopen Schools
- EdSource, Carolyn Jones (EdSource reporter): ‘ No one is sure what to expect’: Schools, colleges, add more counseling services to address student mental health