Editor's Note: This weekly news report covers National K-12 education news with a focus on California, Tennessee, and Texas. Please be in touch with email@example.com with any questions.
- Last week’s news was defined by the growing number of mask and vaccine mandates. This week’s news is defined by the growing number of school closures and student & teacher quarantines due to Covid-19 outbreaks nationwide (USA Today):
- The outbreaks are triggering a reconsideration of distance learning:
- The Education Department, as well as districts (such as Shelby County Schools, Commercial Appeal), pursue legal action towards states with mask bans. (EdWeek, NY Times, NPR, Wall Street Journal, The Hill, Chalkbeat)
- NY Times (The Editorial Board): The School Kids Are Not Alright
- NY Times (Kara Swisher, National Journalist): Why Vaccine Mandates for Teachers Have Been a Harder Sell Than Mask Mandates for Kids
- LAist (Kyle Stokes, Education Reporter): How Schools Are Helping Students With Mental Health As They Return To Campus
- Education Next (Michael B. Henderson, Paul E. Peterson, David Houston, Martin R. West): Hunger for Stability Quells Appetite for Change AND Parent Poll Reveals Support for School Covid-Safety Measures Despite Vaccine Hesitancy, Partisan Polarization