Editor's Note: This weekly news report covers National K-12 education news with a focus on California, Tennessee, and Texas. Please be in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The FDA panel recommends emergency authorization of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for 5-11 year olds. (FDA, Chalkbeat, The 74 Million, NBC, NPR, CNN, ABC)
- Health experts and medical groups declare children’s mental health to be a national emergency and emphasize the need for financial support to solve this. (NPR, EdWeek, American Academy of Pediatrics, The Hill, NY Times, US News, US Department of Education: Supporting Child and Student Social, Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Needs)
- The Democrats’ spending plan is still in negotiations. In an effort to reduce the bill from $3.5T to $2T, child nutrition assistance cuts are expected, as well as no free community college, but universal Pre-K remains. (NY Times, CNBC, Forbes, WSJ, CBS, AP News)
- NY Times (Paul Krugman, Economist): Tax the Rich, Help America’s Children
- Washington Post (Leana S. Wen, Contributing Columnist): Stop the false narrative about young children and covid. They need vaccines.
- The 74 Million (Chauncy Lennon & Anne Stanton): Rising HS Dropout Rates & Declining Community College Enrollment Are Twin COVID Crises. How to Fix the Broken Education Pipeline