At Green Dot, college tours are a critical component of our students' path to higher education. Most importantly, exposing students to college campuses feeds a vision for their future, and allows them to imagine themselves walking the campus as a student one day. These trips also provide students with an opportunity to learn about life on a college campus, meet current students, and begin evaluating which type of college is right for them. Each year, all Green Dot across our network visit colleges and universities throughout the country, fueling their post-secondary endeavors. On the heels of this year’s College Access for All Campaign, more students viewed more campuses than ever before!
Check out where some of our students visited this year:
- Ánimo Venice Charter High School students visited Harvard University, Northeastern University, St. John’s University, Fordham University, Bentley University, and Curry College.
- Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High School, students and their families toured UCLA. There they learned more about the admissions process and school culture.
- Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School students left Los Angeles and took a week long trip to tour colleges in Northern California.
- Bluff City High School students visited Rhodes College.
- Fairley High School students visited the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, University of Mississippi, Vanderbilt University, Tennessee State, and Middle Tennessee State University.
- Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School students visited California State University, Dominguez Hills and learned more about the opportunities a college education provides.
- Kirby Middle School students participated toured the University of Memphis, Arkansas State University, Christian Brothers University, and Southwest Tennessee Community College.
- Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School students had a chance to imagine their life on a college campus when they toured UCLA, University of California, Irvine, and California State University, Long Beach.
- Wooddale Middle School student visited the University of Memphis.
- Destiny Charter Middle School students visited Pacific Lutheran University, the University of Puget Sound, and the University of Washington, Seattle.
- Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School students visited and participated in tours at Historically Black Colleges and Universities including Lincoln University, North Carolina A&T State University, Hampton University, Norfolk State University, Delaware State University, Howard University, and Shaw University.
Through our college trips, we are strengthening our students’ pathways to college and further exposing them to college culture and life. This is just one of many ways we inspire and empower students to pursue their own unique path towards achieving their hopes and dreams.