- The country’s two biggest school districts announced their fall reopening plans: Superintendent Austin Beutner announced that LAUSD will return for 5 days a week with a remote option (ABC 7, LA Times, KTLA, LA Daily News, CBS LA). In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the city will return 5 days a week without a remote option. (New York Times, Reuters, The 74 Million, NPR, Wall Street Journal).
- Yesterday, TN Governor Bill Lee signed HB0580/SB0623 into law, banning critical race theory instruction in classrooms (Fox 17, The Hill, Chalkbeat TN). Texas’ version of the bill, HB3979, was passed by the Senate (Texas Tribune, The Hill).
- RealClearEducation (Chester E. Finn Jr., Thomas B. Fordham Institute & Bruno V. Manno, Walton Family Foundation): Charter Schools Turn 30: Achievements and Challenges Going Forward
- Local 24 ABC (Otis Sanford, Professor at University of Memphis and Political Analyst): With $2.2 billion budget, Shelby County Schools leaders will be under pressure to show improvement
- EdWeek (Arianna Prothero, Reporter): Mental Health Problems Loom for the COVID Generation. Here’s What Schools Can Do