Editor's Note: This weekly news report covers National K-12 education news with a focus on California, Tennessee, and Texas. Please be in touch with email@example.com with any questions.
- Last Thursday, President Biden issued the most encompassing Covid-19 vaccine mandate yet: companies with more than 100 employees must require vaccinations or weekly testing and workers at health facilities or employees of the executive branch must be vaccinated without a testing option. (NY Times, Chalkbeat, FiveThirtyEight, Washington Post, The Hill, Associated Press, Fox News)
- Last week, The House Education & Labor Committee approved its part of the $3.5T Democratic spending package which includes “money for school infrastructure, free community college, universal preschool, a $500 increase to the maximum Pell Grant and child care subsidies” (POLITICO) and allocations for HBCUs. (Bloomberg, Inside Higher Ed, U.S. Chamber of Commerce)
- The White House: Executive Order on White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Hispanics
- Commercial Appeal: Tennessee owes it to its students to spend COVID-19 recovery funds wisely
- Education Next: What Should Our Leaders Do About Failing Schools?
- Chalkbeat TN: Timeline: Teacher deaths, mask debates rock Memphis during the first 30 days of school AND Chalkbeat TN: 20,000 COVID diagnoses in Memphis-area students is a sobering pandemic milestone