Editor's Note: This weekly news report covers National K-12 education news with a focus on California, Tennessee, and Texas. Please be in touch with email@example.com with any questions.
- The US is contending with a nationwide staffing shortage in education such as teachers, bus drivers, and nurses. Immediate impacts include the MA National Guard being called to serve as bus drivers and schools being forced into virtual learning for lack of teachers. (New York Times, Associated Press, EdWeek 1, NY Times, The 74 Million, Philadelphia Inquirer, Detroit Free Press, EdWeek 2). For regional details please see below:
- Education Next (7 Educators & Leaders): Teaching About Slavery
- Chalkbeat Tennessee (Marta Aldrich, K-12 Reporter): Seven schools, including three in Memphis, exit Tennessee’s toughest school improvement list
- Insider Higher Education (Scott Jaschik, Editor Insider Higher Education): 700,000 Fewer Took the SAT
- CalMatters (Joe Hong, K-12 Reporter): Students with disabilities across California stuck in limbo