At Green Dot’s 21 schools across Los Angeles, coaches and school staff have embedded an investment in education within our athletics programs, helping students become sound in both mind and body. From Watts to South LA, our student athletes have much to be proud of from the past fall sports season.
The Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy girls basketball team completed a historic season. The Lady Warriors compiled a 22-4 overall record and won the Ocean League Championship with an undefeated 8-0 league record! The Lady Warriors reached the California Interscholastic Federation Los Angeles City Section (LACIF) Division Four championship, but lost to Green Dot sister school Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory Academy’s girls basketball team. Despite the loss, the Lady Warriors are ranked No.1 for the season.
The Locke Saints also had a season of success:
- The Saints boys football team made it to the LACIF Division II semi-finals.
- Locke’s girls soccer team had the best postseason game in Locke history with nine wins. The team had a successful season and made it to the CIF Division IV semi-finals.
- Locke’s girls basketball team made it the LACIF state playoffs.
Inglewood and Lennox
At Ánimo Leadership Charter High School and Ánimo Inglewood Charter High School, their combined girls volleyball team competed in the CIF Southern Section Mulholland league where they came in first in their division. Several members of the team were selected as Muholland All League Players:
- Ginia Goods
- Laila Soto
- Klarissa Herrera
- Alia campanotto
- Brianna Castillo
- Angela Orozco
The Ánimo Inglewood and Ánimo Leadership boys and girls soccer teams both finished first in their fall season. Coaches Sergio Medrano and Yennifer Baca were both recognized as Mulholland League Coaches of the Year for their dedication to teaching students the value of pursuing victory with honor.
Several players from the boy’s soccer team were also selected as Mulholland All League players:
- Ivan Garcia
- Luke Medrano
- Juan Rojas
- Robert Valencia
- Bryan Lucero
- Phillip Hephzibah
- Michael Salazar
Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School (AJR) also had a successful sports season:
- The Lady Monarch basketball team ranked first in the division III playoffs with an undefeated league record of 11-0!
- The AJR football team proved hard work and determination pays off by winning the 8-man LACIF football championship.
- AJR cross-country students Ruby Hernandez, Wendy Carbajal and Danna Contreras placed in the top ten in their Division IV cross country playoff race!
We are proud of our student athletes’ discipline and passion, and applaud their successful seasons, knowing they balance rigorous coursework and regular training. We know that the sense of sportsmanship, respect, and dedication they are developing is foundational to succeed on and off the field.