Editor's note: This weekly media report covers public education news, opinions, and trends. Please be in touch with email@example.com with any questions.
- Tennessee’s state legislature faces national blowback for advancing a bill that would ban critical race theory - the teaching of systemic racism - in public schools. Governor Lee still must sign it for it to become law. (Daily Memphian, The Tennessean, USA Today, Fox News, The Hill, EdWeek, Memphis Flyer, Chalkbeat)
- CA Governor Gavin Newsom recently announced his May Revise budget totaling ~$268B. The budget’s California For All Kids Plan allots $121.7 for K-12 Education and $14,000 per pupil. (Los Angeles Times, EdSource 1, EdSource 2, State of Reform, California Globe)
- Requiring or not requiring masks in public schools is an issue of focus this week in the ‘what will school look like in the fall’ conversation. Recently, TX Governor Abbot banned the requirement of masks in public education institutions. (NBC LA, NY Times, The Hill, Texas Tribune)
- Los Angeles Times (George Skelton, Capitol Journal Columnist): Newsom’s love of making firsts is on full display in his go-big-or-go-home California budget
- The 74 Million (Greg Toppo, Author & Journalist) : Returning this Fall, By Popular Demand: Virtual School. For Communities of Color, it’s Largely a Matter of Trust
- American Spectator (Dr. Keri Ingraham, Director of the Institute’s American Center for Transforming Education): More Money Can’t Solve the K-12 Education Crisis